SLA in New Orleans: What a Great Time!

Polly Perkins was our 2010 SLA National Conference Scholarship Winner and she was off to New Orleans in June. Polly wrote of her experience at her first SLA National Conference for the MN SLA Chapter's Spring 2010 Bulletin. Her reflections are reprinted here:

SLA in New Orleans: What a Great Time!
Polly Perkins, Student Group Co-President

I was so excited to be awarded with the St. Kate's SLA Student Group Conference Scholarship. I was thrilled to be able to experience a truly professional networking and learning opportunity in a city I had not seen for over twenty years. When I arrived, I gathered my maps and headed out for a stroll around the French Quarter. I had no concept of the true definition of hot until I stepped outside my hotel and was steam broiled in about two seconds. As I walked and sweated, I was amazed at how lovingly the history had been preserved by the current residents and their refusal to give in to the devastation caused by Katrina. There is a unique flavor to New Orleans, some sort of amazing combination of gracious welcome along with an unabashed delight in the finer things in life; namely food and good times.

The SLA First-Timers and Fellows Connect event was a wonderful way to meet new people and run into several Minnesota friends. As I planned my attack on the sessions, I remembered their advice to leave open time to absorb all the input!

The keynote address by long time New Orleans residents Mary Matalin and James Carville was a fine start to the proceedings. The awards presentation had a special zip for the Minnesota contingent with Jim Tchobanoff being recognized for his years of contributions to SLA. As I selected sessions to attend, my biggest challenge was that so many really interesting sessions were at the exact same time! The choices were very difficult. There seemed to be information for everyone, no matter your expertise. The Taxonomy Division really outdid themselves by offering several sessions every day.

The INFO-EXPO was very overwhelming. I enjoyed wandering the hall and talking to the vendors about the wide variety of products. I had no idea there were so many specialty products for the different libraries.

Finally, I really enjoyed the chance to get to know people better. I met many people from other states and countries and really enjoyed talking to others about their experiences in their libraries, where they are now, and what they see in the future for their libraries. I was fortunate to be able to hang out with some fun MN Chapter members too! Thanks to all who helped make my experience enjoyable and memorable!

-reprinted with permission from Polly Perkins

This Fall we hope to have Polly come tell us about the New Orleans conference in person! For details, watch here at our blog, the student group Web site, and/or the listserv.

Comments